Saturday, September 1, 2012

Back to the Wall

Still trying to decide what time we are supposed to be following, we took the morning slowly.  I fell back asleep while Seth emailed some contacts. We had an awesome breakfast at the hotel. It was full of fruits, vegetables, breads, and cheese. It was heavenly (every trip is determined by its good food-right?). Just before noon, we went over to the hospital to try and meet with the international patient services, but it was the weekend to them (Friday/Saturday are their weekend), so they were closed. We walked through the hospital and found the neurology department. It's not far from where we are. 
We came back and Seth slept for a bit. We decided to go into the Old City watch the ushering of the sabbath at the Wailing Wall. This memory is an unforgettable one from 16 years ago. I was so excited to go be a part of this old tradition again. On our way into the Old City was asked the cab driver if there would be any food available in the Old City. Because it was the almost Shabbat, the restaurants would be closed, except for in East Jerusalem, the Arab sector. So he changed direction, and dropped us off at an open market street, Agrippa Street. It reminded me of many open markets I have been throughout the world. 

But we found food. No meat available. We had some awesome falafel! Apparently they were the "Best Falafel" in town. 


Here is our most famous falafel maker! I will be honest, it was way better than I remember.

We then made our way to the Western Wall. I was super excited to return. 

Even if I am a bit chubbier. I was glad to be there.

 We got there early before the sunset. We were hoping to see the Yeshiva students dance down to the wall. They never came. The military behind Seth in the picture below, joined together and danced into the men's section. 

Here is after the sun had set. There were many different sects -from Hassidic Jews in full orthodox dress to military and casually dressed men. The women's side, although smaller, was also crowded. It was very interesting to watch and hear them sing and dance. I remember being 20 years old and awestruck at these people. Their lifestyle was far from my realty and I became very interested in their beliefs and traditions. Not all make sense to me, but I have a great respect for discipline. 

The night began to fall on the old city. To give you a perspective on how close things are put together, you can see the Dome of the Rock behind the Wailing Wall on the right side of the picture. Like the bellman at the front desk said, "Every rock is claimed by at least 3 different religions- Catholic, Jewish, and Muslim, and for this reason we have a problem." After being here, and studying here, I too hold this place holy.

As we walked away from the Western Wall we were give the gift of watching the moon rise over the walls of the city. It was beautiful. 








No comments:

Post a Comment