Saturday, September 1, 2012

Shabbat & Arches

Being at the Jerusalem Center was surreal. I can't believe it was 16 years ago that Seth I and were here. The students looked SO young and so single. I guess that's what we were. The students just arrived this week, and as the students shared their excitement of being there, I thought to myself- You have no idea. I was excited for them, how incredible their experience will be. It changed my life and I am sure will it will be the same for them. 

These arches are a special place for us. Sixteen years ago, we got to know each other while spending time sitting in the arches and having long talks about life, our dreams, and our testimony. We found another arch at the Sea of Galilee. Since then we have noticed, sought out, followed some incredible arches. But the first arch was here. 

The view of the Old City. Not much has changed. This is the view from the chapel where we sat today and took the sacrament. The view is helpful in remembering what we are supposed to be focusing on.

Another view of the majestic arches.


 After leaving the BYU Jerusalem Center, we ate on the streets in front of Damascus Gate. It was loud, noisy, dirty, and smelly. I didn't finish my shwarma because I couldn't get over the smell. But right around the corner behind a tall wall, is the sacred Garden Tomb. You step out of the busy streets into a quiet garden and you feel the sacredness of this place. 
 Seth and I sat there for quite some time and talked. We've had to grow up quite a bit in the last 16 years. A mission, 3 college degrees, 2 houses, 3 moves, and four kids later. And here we are again.We could have never imagined our lives those many years ago. We could have never imagined the joy, sweat, tears, and love that we have enjoyed. I will be forever grateful for the chance I had to go to Holy Land in my youth, not only because I would meet and 3 years later marry Seth, but also for the sacred experiences that I had that give me daily strength to face the challenges ahead. I need not search for the answers of who I am, or who God is, or if He knows me. I was given this knowledge long ago. And with this knowledge I have been shown again and again that He will lead us, and we don't need to doubt He won't do it again. 

3 comments:

  1. how beautiful!!!
    it can't have been 16 years since we were there either :)
    As I look at those pictures I can smell the gardens, the food, the old city
    we're excited for you to be there and look forward to how things go
    keep the pictures coming!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my "Sprinks" and "Stuffin'"!!! I didn't know you had this blog. To open it up and have that as the picture... I couldn't stop the tears. 16 years, seriously?! You were so right on in this post... there are things we learned and felt there that will be with us forever. What an amazing blessing. A day doesn't go by that I don't think about it. I am so excited that you two are back there again. I love you both! You will always be so dear to me no matter how long it's been. I still haven't quite put all the pieces together of what you're doing there, but I hope and pray you are finding what you need. Please keep posting and let's have a dang reunion when you get back!!! :) xoxo, Treat Girl aka Swoosh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so jealous you got to go back there, and what a wonderful experience to go back with the person you probably made-out with in Galilee 16 years ago:) erin

    ReplyDelete