Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Pillbox at Lanikai

On the inland side of our house was a ridge that had two old bunkers on it. Here's the info I found-
"Lanikai Pillboxes or bunkers is located on the Ka’iwa ridge in Kailua on the windward side of Oahu. The bunkers were built in 1942 to serve as observation posts and fire control station for the gun batteries that used to be at Bellows." So we hiked to them with they Heywoods. 

The hike was up a steep ridge that lead us to these bunkers. It was kind of a scramble at times but well worth it when we got to the top. 






This is Tristan down in the bunkers. There was a window on the one side to overlook the ocean. We could see our house and waved to Seth who was home with a sleeping Jake. He could see us waving.



Although this picture doesn't really do it justice, the trail was quite steep. We held on the to the trees as we made our way down to stop us from falling down.


The reward was SHAVE ICE! Yum. We told the kids that every time they complained their shave ice was reduced a size. Needless to say there was no complaints. 


The picture below was taken on my phone. We sent it to our Aunt Rachels (yes that is plural because we have two Aunt Rachels) because they love shave ice! Everytime we eat one, we think of them. 




5 comments:

  1. I love that you're always up for an adventure--even a steep one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy you guys are doing so well and are able to have such fantastic adventures in Hawaii! We think of your family often and pray for your safety and peace of mind during this transitory time. Catch some sun for me and enjoy that beach! I'm so jealous!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy!! Somehow I missed the memo that you had a new blog! Meg passed it along to me and I'm so glad she did - it's so fantastic! It's fun to see you guys enjoying your big adventure so much and your pictures are so gorgeous. I'm adding you to my reader so I don't miss a post! :) xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you didn't get it sooner. I thought for sure I had sent the link to you. I am sure you see many places that you visited. Don't you just love Hawaii? Its the best. Hope you are well. I am waiting to here about your next adventure? Any news? Great to hear from you.

      Delete
  4. Amy,
    You are a PHENOMENAL photographer! In May, I am so going to bring my Canon EOS40D and watch your every move..taking lessons on the sly!
    It looks like you, Seth and the kids are loving each other and having a fun, beautiful, and memorable time... So happy the opportunity to do so presented itself and you guys took an enormous leap of faith!
    We love you...and anxiously look forward to our trip to visit!!
    Aunt Nancy and Uncle Harvey

    ReplyDelete