Monday, March 19, 2012

Surf Lessons

This morning we hit the beach early. I had found a kids surf club.  They were a competitive surfing club, but the women running it said her son taught surf lessons and that he was on spring break for the next two weeks and would love to teach my kids. Perfect! So we went to Kahana beach this morning at 9 to meet Kahia Walker. He is 13 years old and competes nationally.  He did some land teaching and then took the kids out one at a time. Kahana beach is a shallow water with gentle rolling waves, making it perfect for first timers to be taught. Sam went out first and got up his first wave. He has been messing around on the surf board since we got it the first week we came, so I figured he could pick it up fast. Kahia had to help push them forward to catch the wave but they got the feel for it. It took Ellie a couple tries but she also did well. Both of them came out of the water with huge smiles on their face. 

 Sam's First Long Ride. I love this picture because Ellie was running to him cheering. 
Ellie's First Time Up. She has been tossed a couple times before this, so we all were cheering.

Sam on his stomach paddling out. Kahia following him.

 Ellie running to meet Sam to take her turn.
Ellie heading out for her second time to surf. Kahia helping her paddle out.

 

Jake doing his yoga posses on the beach during surf lessons. Jayne, Jake, and I got to play in the sand while Sam and Ellie were surfing. I think I am going to like it here.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that I discovered your blog - I'm already hooked. Love you guys so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I can totally see Ellie becoming a pro surfer! I'm loving your adventures on here. Love ya

    ReplyDelete